Access road gives residents route to Darrington, Oso
The access road opens Monday, April 28, at midnight and will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, said state Department of Transportation spokesman Travis Phelps.
The single-lane access road will be limited to residents of Darrington and Oso, and those who need to get past the slide in order to work.
Trucks, including logging trucks, will be able to use the road between 5 a.m. and 5 p.m.
The unpaved utility road is narrow and steep, with grades as much as 16 percent in some places. The speed limit will be set at 10 miles per hour, with no stopping permitted.
All traffic will be led through by a pilot car on a fixed schedule: Westbound toward Arlington at the top of the hour, eastbound toward Darrington at the bottom of the hour.
Right now, determining who can get through will be handled on the honor system, Phelps said, but it is important to realize that this access road is for Darrington and Oso.
"This is their lifeline, this is the access they need," Phelps said.
Those who aren't local should help the locals by continuing to take Highway 20 and not overburden the access road, he said.
Because this is new, there will likely be some delays, Phelps said.
"Think of it as a ferry. You want to get there early and see what traffic's doing," he said.
The access road will be in use at least until the state can reopen a lane of Highway 530.
Chris Winters: 425-374-4165 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lions proved big-hearted after mudslide 10/21/14
- Land-use planners ready to apply lessons from mudslide 10/15/14
- Darrington IGA, owners recognized for mudslide relief work 10/10/14
- Mudslide-displaced families to receive financial assistance 10/9/14
- Study of logging risk in slide areas sought 10/7/14
- Months after mudslide, Red Cross is still pitching in 10/6/14
- County set to close clearinghouse for items found after mudslide 10/2/14
- 43 trees mark lives lost along Highway 530 in Oso 9/28/14
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.