Map's new aerial imagery shows mudslide devastation
View Oso mudslide victims and survivors in a larger map
We just revised our interactive map of Oso mudslide victims and survivors, and while doing so we noticed that Google Maps has now updated the aerial imagery to show the post-event devastation.
The pins of our map, showing where everyone lived, now lie on a sea of dirt and debris. Previously you could see the homes of the Steelhead Drive neighborhood and the surrounding area.
Signs of the recovery effort are visible in the new imagery: Highway 530 is buried, with work vehicles parked nearby, and people can be seen in places. The image quality is quite good when you zoom in. And the memorial tree which we've marked on the map is more visible now, standing alone in the drying mud.
- Landslide Forum aims to bridge knowledge gap 2/28/15
- Senate passes bill for expanded mapping of hazardous areas 2/27/15
- Bicycle ride alters course to raise funds for slide victims 2/25/15
- Mudslide communities to be awarded state Medal of Valor 2/19/15
- Deadline extended for people to donate to mudslide relief effort 2/17/15
- Project Linus volunteers create blankets for children in crisis 2/13/15
- State adopts new logging rule for landslide-prone areas 2/11/15
- Oso mudslide property temporarily goes up for sale 2/11/15
- Governor honors naval team for response to Oso mudslide 2/11/15
- Medal of Valor could go to cities affected by mudslide 1/31/15
- Team effort will send mom whose son died in mudslide to Super Bowl 1/29/15
- Lawsuit claims Oso mudslide was ‘man-made’ 1/28/15
- Reverend's Oso song came straight from the heart 1/24/15
- Apply the lessons learned from Oso slide 1/21/15
- Lawmakers push for wider scope in disaster mobilization 1/20/15
- Near-record rainfall gave Oso mudslide its destructive force, USGS finds 1/13/15
- Red Cross distributes more than 1,000 free smoke alarms 12/31/14
- $5.25M targeted for children’s recreation in Stilly Valley 12/26/14
- Whitehorse Trail rebuild project delayed 12/25/14
- Millions spent after Oso mudslide, but generosity can't be measured 12/21/14
Most recent Need to Know posts
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.