Map's new aerial imagery shows mudslide devastation
View Oso mudslide victims and survivors in a larger map
We just revised our interactive map of Oso mudslide victims and survivors, and while doing so we noticed that Google Maps has now updated the aerial imagery to show the post-event devastation.
The pins of our map, showing where everyone lived, now lie on a sea of dirt and debris. Previously you could see the homes of the Steelhead Drive neighborhood and the surrounding area.
Signs of the recovery effort are visible in the new imagery: Highway 530 is buried, with work vehicles parked nearby, and people can be seen in places. The image quality is quite good when you zoom in. And the memorial tree which we've marked on the map is more visible now, standing alone in the drying mud.
- $5.25M targeted for children’s recreation in Stilly Valley 12/26/14
- Whitehorse Trail rebuild project delayed 12/25/14
- Millions spent after Oso mudslide, but generosity can't be measured 12/21/14
- Report points to critical fixes 12/18/14
- Mudslide report offers ideas to be ready for next disaster 12/15/14
- Study of timber harvest near Oso mudslide inconclusive 12/9/14
- State budget should include funding for Stilly Valley Youth Project 12/5/14
- County expects costly legal battles over Oso mudslide 12/4/14
- Panel investigating Oso lessons needs more time 12/3/14
- Panel to hold last meeting on safety recommendations after Oso mudslide 12/1/14
- Better response to disasters needed, panel on Oso told 11/21/14
- 'Nova' episode examines causes of Oso mudslide 11/18/14
- Mudslide panel to update Legislature on findings 11/17/14
- Logging rules timely and just 11/16/14
- Rebuilt Highway 530 faces major test as weather changes 11/12/14
- State forest board revises slope logging guidelines 11/12/14
- Darrington business group getting new name, new focus 11/3/14
- Mudslide lawsuit blames governments, timber company 10/27/14
- Lions proved big-hearted after mudslide 10/21/14
- Land-use planners ready to apply lessons from mudslide 10/15/14
Most recent Need to Know posts
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.