The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up | Manage  Green editions icon Green editions

Calendar


HeraldNet Headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.
Published: Sunday, May 11, 2014, 12:01 a.m.

Search for ferry passengers on hold

SEOUL, South Korea — Bad weather and the deterioration of internal partitions in a sunken ferry are hampering the search for those still missing in the disaster, South Korean officials said Saturday.
More than three weeks after the ferry sank, 29 passengers remain missing, with 275 bodies recovered so far, most of them high school students.
Internal partitions in the ferry have become waterlogged and started to bend, said government task force spokesman Ko Myung-seok. Coast guard officials said this can prevent divers from entering different parts of the ferry.
Ko also said divers were unable to carry out underwater searches Saturday because of bad weather.
Search teams took advantage of improved weather this past week, but later were hampered by strong currents and floating debris inside the ship. A civilian diver fell unconscious while searching and died on Tuesday.
Only 172 people survived the April 16 disaster. Most of the passengers were students from a high school south of Seoul.
All 15 surviving crew members involved in the ferry’s navigation have been arrested on suspicion of negligence and failing to protect passengers. Besides possible freight problems, prosecutors say they are looking into other factors, such as the turn made during the time the ship began listing, ocean currents and modifications made to the ship.
On Friday, Kim Han-sik, head of Chonghaejin Marine Co. Ltd., which owns the sunken ferry, was arrested after investigators raised suspicions that improper stowage and overloading of cargo might have contributed to the accident. Kim is facing allegations that he was aware that the ferry exceeded its cargo limit but didn’t do anything to stop it from leaving port, according to prosecutors.
Story tags » Asia

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.

loading...

HeraldNet highlights

Richard Sherman 2.0
Richard Sherman 2.0: Seahawks' star cornerback is equally effective with less bravado
Playing with all they have
Playing with all they have: Highland Christian girls compete, inspire with just 5 players
Wolf population growing
Wolf population growing: Chief concern about more wolves: Livestock attacks
$800K in scholarships, so far
$800K in scholarships, so far: Monroe High's Chloe Cook expects she’ll still need a job
SnoCoSocial