Store owners plan Red Cross fundraisers
Stewart and Julie Patey, owners of the Mattress City stores in Everett, Marysville and Woodinville, were motivated to help by their personal relationships with slide victims.
The Pateys were close friends of Larry and Sandy Miller, who lived on Steelhead Drive in Oso and died in the March 22 mudslide. They were also friends with another couple that survived but lost their home.
The Pateys decided Memorial Day would be the ideal time to hold a fundraiser.
“Customers come in to buy a mattress and help us help others,” Stewart Patey said. “It’s one of the biggest weekends in the mattress industry. I’m trying to maximize that.”
The Pateys are holding a barbecue and car wash at their Everett flagship store on Saturday and Monday. The stores are closed on Sundays.
Donations solicited at the barbecue and car wash will be passed to the Snohomish County chapter of the American Red Cross.
In addition, the company will donate 10 percent of all mattress sales that weekend from all three of its stores to the Red Cross. The company is also holding a raffle through May 27, with the $5 ticket price also being donated.
“I’m just trying to do whatever we can to help everybody,” Patey said.
Chris Winters: 425-374-4165; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mattress City is donating 10 percent of all sales on Saturday and Monday to the American Red Cross. Donations will also be collected at a barbecue and car wash at the Everett location. The stores are open 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday, except the Woodinville location, which is open 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday.
Mattress City locations:
Everett: 121 SE Everett Mall Way.
Marysville: 3721 116th St. NE.
Woodinville: 14522 NE North Woodinville Way.
- Oso, surrounding communities to receive state Medal of Valor 3/2/15
- Progress that honors victims 3/1/15
- Landslide Forum aims to bridge knowledge gap 2/28/15
- Senate passes bill for expanded mapping of hazardous areas 2/27/15
- Bicycle ride alters course to raise funds for slide victims 2/25/15
- Mudslide communities to be awarded state Medal of Valor 2/19/15
- Deadline extended for people to donate to mudslide relief effort 2/17/15
- Project Linus volunteers create blankets for children in crisis 2/13/15
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.