Oso mudslide helped fill hotels
Compared to April 2013, demand was up nearly 21 percent and revenue increased nearly 23 percent, according to Smith Travel Research.
Demand and revenue had been trending upward before the slide, so it is impossible to say exactly how much of the bump was from the March 22 disaster, Amy Spain, head of the county's tourism bureau, said in an email.
Even so, the influx of disaster relief workers likely had a “significant” effect on demand, she said.
Snohomish County hotels saw an 18 percent increase year-over-year in occupancy in April. So far this year, occupancy is up 5 percent compared to the same period last year.
Dan Catchpole: 425-339-3454; email@example.com; Twitter: @dcatchpole.
- Exhibit shows vivid images of Oso before and after slide 5/13/15
- Delayed disaster response in Oso prompts new law 5/8/15
- Darrington mayor receives national award for leadership 4/30/15
- New technology can help reduce risks from landslides 4/26/15
- Anonymous gift pays off Oso mudslide survivor's mortgage 4/22/15
- Governor signs law for geologic hazards mapping 4/17/15
- County public works and WSDOT win award for post-mudslide road rebuild 4/13/15
- Landslide-mapping bill approved and sent to governor 4/8/15
- Mortgages still on the books for homes wiped out by Oso disaster 4/3/15
- WSU students travel to help Stilly Valley communities 4/2/15
- To be human and journalist 3/29/15
- Disaster response bill likely to pass 3/24/15
- Messages of love lift up from Oso 3/23/15
- ‘Oso strong’ spirit a great example for all 3/22/15
- United Way, Red Cross continue work to aid recovery 3/22/15
- These towns still stand 3/22/15
- 'All I can say is thank you;' Oso survivors meet their rescuers 3/22/15
- Slide survivor Tim Ward reflects on a year accomplished 3/22/15
- Public safety officials learned lessons from Oso catastrophe 3/22/15
- Darrington honors longtime librarian taken by the Oso mudslide 3/22/15
Most recent Bizblog posts
- Briefs: Providence nominated for most beautiful hospital in U.S. May 18
- Briefs: Economic Alliance wins ‘Community Partner’ award May 14
- Briefs: Mill Creek native wins chocolate factory franchise May 13
- Briefs: Environmental engineer added at Landau in Edmonds May 12
- Briefs: United Way hires new director of marketing May 11
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.