More Oso mudslide damage claims filed
That brings to nearly 30 the number of potential lawsuits facing Snohomish County and Washington state over the natural disaster.
“Our goal remains to find out what happened and to make sure it doesn't happen again and to make sure we can help our clients deal with their losses,” said Seattle attorney Corrie Yackulic, who filed the latest batch of claims.
The mudslide hit at 10:37 a.m. on a Saturday, killing 43 people. Authorities have found the remains of all but one of the dead.
The damage claims are likely precursors to lawsuits. Each claim asks that a jury determine damages.
Nine of the new claims allege wrongful death, Yackulic said. Three others are for personal injury or property loss.
The county's risk management division also received eight damage claims on Friday from insurance companies.
Yackulic and two other Seattle attorneys representing affected families previously filed nine claims on behalf of slide survivors and victims' estates.
Noah Haglund: 425-339-3465; email@example.com.
- Personal items buried by Oso mudslide handled with care 7/22/14
- No clear single cause of Oso mudslide, geologists say 7/22/14
- Identity of last Oso mudslide victim confirmed 7/22/14
- Joint county-state panel to probe mudslide events 7/21/14
- Mariners to salute Oso residents, rescuers 7/16/14
- Camp Killoqua opens its doors to kids from Oso, Darrington 7/14/14
- Explore NW: Kids head outside to study Oso slide and natural resources 7/14/14
- Oso clean-up concern: What about the last victim? 7/11/14
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.