The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up | Manage  Green editions icon Green editions

Calendar

Splash! Summer guide

Sports headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.
Published: Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 4:35 p.m.

Selig says Rose could play role in 2015 All-Star Game in Cincinnati

MINNEAPOLIS — Pete Rose may have a role to play in next year's All-Star game in Cincinnati despite his lifetime ban from baseball.
The career hits leader generally is not allowed in any areas of major league ballparks not open to fans. But the former Reds star was allowed to participate in baseball's All-Century team ceremony at Atlanta's Turner Field during the 1999 World Series and was permitted to be on the field at Great American Ballpark in 2010 for a ceremony commemorating the 25th anniversary of his record-setting 4,192nd hit.
He also was on the field in Cincinnati last September for the unveiling of a bronze sculpture honoring Hall of Fame teammate Joe Morgan.
The Reds host the 2015 All-Star game on July 14, and Commissioner Bud Selig left open the possibility Rose could play a part.
"That will be up to the Cincinnati club, and they know what they can do and can't do," Selig told the Baseball Writers' Association of America on Tuesday. "It's sort of been subjective. But they've done some things with Pete, but they've been very, very thoughtful and limited. But that's a subject that I'm sure they'll discuss in the next year."
Rose, who famously bowled over catcher Ray Fosse to win the 1970 All-Star game at Cincinnati's Riverfront Stadium, agreed to the lifetime ban in August 1989 following an investigation by Major League Baseball that concluded he bet on the Reds to win while managing the team. He applied for reinstatement in September 1997 and met with Selig in November 2002.
Selig, who plans to retire in January, has never ruled on Rose's application.
"It's under advisement. My standard line," Selig said. "I'm the judge and that's where it will stay. Nothing new in that statement, I understand."
Now 73, Rose admitted in a 2004 autobiography that his previous gambling denials were false.
Last month, he managed the Bridgeport Bluefish for one game in the independent Atlantic League.

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.



HeraldNet highlights

Labor of love
Labor of love: Volunteer crews work hard to maintain Pacific Crest Trail
Good times in Snohomish
Good times in Snohomish: Kla Ha Ya Days full of fun (gallery)
Humoody's Way
Humoody's Way: Blinded at 2, Snohomish boy lives with no holds barred
Northern sights
Northern sights: 3 ways to sample the wonders of the N. Cascades (video)