Trade rumors fly around Mariners
Someone else? Utilityman Emilio Bonifacio, maybe?
The rumors keep circulating around the Mariners as the hours count down to the non-waiver trading deadline at 1 p.m. PDT Thursday.
The Mariners — no secret, here — are trying hard to bolster their attack. Their clear preference, also well-known, is to obtain a right-handed-hitting outfielder. But they are also looking for upgrades in other areas.
“I don't know what else will happen,” said general manager Jack Zduriencik, who is on the trip along with most of his senior staff. “We'll continue to have conversations. ... Who knows what's around the corner?”
The Mariners have been linked to nearly every right-handed hitter believed to be available — plus Lester, Tampa Bay ace David Price and others.
Officials from rival clubs say the Mariners have the necessary prospects to make deals for immediate help.
So far, though, it's just talk — lots of talk and much of it is conflicting. Example: There were two reports Wednesday from Boston, within minutes of each other, contending the Mariners were “in” and “not in” on Lester.
“Right now, nothing is imminent,” one club official said before adding: “But that could change.”
In other words: stay tuned for a few more hours.
Trades can take place after the deadline, but the players involved must first clear waivers. Players must be on a club's roster by Sept. 1 in order to be eligible for post-season play.
- Pacific Little League All-Stars win first game at regionals 7/31/14
- Indians trade right-hander Masterson to Cardinals 7/30/14
- Red Sox's Lester scratched from start as trade deadline approaches 7/30/14
- D-backs' Chavez retires at the age of 36, ending 17-year big league career 7/30/14
- ESPN announcers to call game from atop Fenway's Green Monster 7/30/14
- Mariners' Ackley doesn’t worry about where he bats in lineup 7/30/14
- Scully to return next season for 66th year in Dodgers broadcast booth 7/30/14
- Hernandez sets major league record in M's 2-0 loss to Indians 7/30/14
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.