Pizza Hut franchise donates $200,000 to mudslide relief
The American Red Cross presented the check during a meeting at the Darrington Community Center on Tuesday.
The Red Cross has received $4.5 million in donations related to the slide so far, spokeswoman Jacqueline Koch said. About half of that has been spent or allotted for emergency relief and the early stages of recovery support, she said, citing examples such as food, shelter and health care.
The Red Cross still is working with Catholic Community Services to find long-term housing for survivors.
The Pizza Hut donation came from a fundraiser at restaurants that are part of the Emerald City Pizza franchise group, Koch said.
The Red Cross continues to need support for the Oso disaster response and the Eastern Washington wildfires. To donate, visitredcross.org or call 800-RED-CROSS.
- Better response to disasters needed, panel on Oso told 11/21/14
- 'Nova' episode examines causes of Oso mudslide 11/18/14
- Mudslide panel to update Legislature on findings 11/17/14
- Logging rules timely and just 11/16/14
- Rebuilt Highway 530 faces major test as weather changes 11/12/14
- State forest board revises slope logging guidelines 11/12/14
- Darrington business group getting new name, new focus 11/3/14
- Mudslide lawsuit blames governments, timber company 10/27/14
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.