Petition to recall prosecutor denied by Skagit judge

MOUNT VERNON — A Gold Bar blogger’s latest attempt to recall Snohomish County’s elected prosecutor met with defeat Friday.

Anne Block’s petition for a recall election targeting Mark Roe was rejected by Skagit County Superior Court Judge John Meyer.

The judge’s dismissal order says Block’s claims were factually and legally insufficient to support the idea that Roe engaged in conduct that warrants a vote to potentially remove him from office.

“Mr. Roe exercised his discretion appropriately and within the requirements of the laws of the State of Washington and the Snohomish County Code and consistent with his ethical obligations under the Rules of Professional Conduct,” Judge Meyer’s dismissal order said.

Block last year was shut down in a separate attempt to recall Roe. On Jan. 29, she filed recall paperwork, claiming Roe engaged in misfeasance in responding to a federal lawsuit that she’s brought against the county, the city of Gold Bar and several current and former government employees.

Roe broke the law, Block argued, when his office agreed to spend up to $15,000 on outside legal counsel to represent Kevin Hulten, an aide to Aaron Reardon, the former county executive.

Hulten resigned his county job in May 2013 amid the scandal that erupted after The Daily Herald unmasked him as the person using the spoof identity “Edmond Thomas” and other pseudonyms to make a series of public records requests and to set up web pages attacking people he considered Reardon’s enemies. Hulten last year pleaded guilty to evidence tampering for loading a data-wiping program onto a county-owned computer before it could be examined by a detective investigating the misconduct.

Block named Hulten in her federal lawsuit because she was among the people records show that he harassed. He sought legal representation at county expense.

In court papers, Roe said he was disinclined to provide Hulten with a lawyer. But because he’d been harassed by Hulten, too, he asked San Juan County Prosecutor Randall Gaylord to review the circumstances and make the decision.

After review, Gaylord decided that Hulten is entitled to legal representation at public expense in Block’s civil lawsuit, but the prosecutor said that could change depending on evidence that may surface.

In addition to the two attempts at recalling Roe, Block twice tried to recall Reardon, as well as recall efforts aimed at then-sheriff John Lovick and some former Gold Bar officials. None of her recalls have survived legal scrutiny. Regardless, county officials expect she’ll attempt more recall actions. This week, Block posted to her Gold Bar Reporter site that Roe and Lovick will be the focus of fresh recall efforts.

Scott North: 425-339-3431; north@heraldnet.com. Twitter: @snorthnews

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Oliver Popa, 7, poses with his book, "Drippey Plants a Garden," on Tuesday, March 25, 2025 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds 7-year-old publishes children’s book featuring ‘Drippey’ the bee

Oliver Popa’s first grade teacher said he should publish a longer version of a writing assignment. A year later, his mother — a publisher — helped made it happen.

Don Sharrett talks John Wrice through his trimming technique on Friday, March 14, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett barber school offers $5 haircuts — if you’re brave enough

Students get hands-on practice. Willing clients get a sweet deal.

Employees and patrons of the Everett Mall signed a timeline mural that traces the history of the 51-year-old indoor mall that was once considered the premier place to go shopping in the city. Thursday, March 20, 2025 (Aaron Kennedy / The Herald)
Mall mural offers nostalgic trip into the past

Past and present Everett Mall employees joined customers Thursday to view an artistic timeline of the once popular shopping mecca.

Gary Petershagen
Lake Stevens council member announces reelection run

Gary Petershagen is seeking a third term on the council.

2025 Emerging Leader Megan Kemmett (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Megan Kemmett: Seeking solutions to any problem or obstacle

Executive director of Snohomish Community Food Bank overcomes obstacles to keep people fed.

Director for the Snohomish County Health Department Dennis Worsham leads a short exercise during the Edge of Amazing event on Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Snohomish County Health Department faces up to $3.4 million in cuts

The two federal grants provided funding for immunizations and disease prevention awareness efforts.

2025 Emerging Leader DeLon Lewis (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
DeLon Lewis: Helping students succeed

Program specialist for Everett Community College believes leadership is about building bridges.

Daron Johnson, who runs Snohomish County Scanner, stands next to his scanner setup on Tuesday, April 1 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Snohomish County law enforcement to encrypt police airwaves

The plan for civilian police scanners to go dark pushed a host to shut down his popular breaking news feed.

Richie Gabriel, 1, jumps off the bottom of the slide as Matthew Gabriel looks down at him from the play structure at Hummingbird Hill Park on Monday, March 31, 2025 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds residents show up for Hummingbird Hill Park, Frances Anderson Center

After a two-and-a-half hour public comment session, the council tabled its votes for the two comprehensive plan amendments.

Students Haddie Shorb, 9, left, and brother Elden Shorb, 11, right, lead the ground breaking at Jackson Elementary School on Tuesday, April 1, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett Public Schools breaks ground on Jackson Elementary replacement

The $54 million project will completely replace the aging elementary school. Students are set to move in by the 2026-27 school year.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Another positive measles case identified in Snohomish County

The case was identified in an infant who likely contracted measles while traveling, the county health department said.

A Tesla drives along 41st Street on Wednesday, March 26, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Washington faces uncertain future of Clean Air Act regulations

The Trump administration’s attempt to roll back numerous vehicle pollution standards has left states wondering what’s next.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.