Apology sought for anti-mosque mailing in Mukilteo

MUKILTEO — The president of a planned mosque in Mukilteo is calling for Peter Zieve, who leads the aerospace firm Electroimpact Inc., to apologize for his opposition to the mosque through a citywide postcard mailing.

Zieve has been criticized for mailing an anonymous citywide postcard earlier this month as part of a campaign to oppose plans for the mosque.

On Saturday, Mohammed Riaz Khan, president of the planned Islamic Center of Mukilteo, said he was making “a simple request” for Zieve to send out a second postcard, this time with an apology.

Khan said he also wants Zieve to accept responsibility for what he has done.

“His actions and intentions were wrong,” Khan said.

Khan said he wants Zieve to clearly identify that the postcard is from him. “Don’t play with the emotions of the families of Mukilteo,” he said.

Khan said such action would open the way for him and other members of the mosque’s five-member board to meet with Zieve.

“We will fulfill his desire to meet,” Khan said. “We can talk to him to bring (the situation) to a complete end, with happiness,” he said.

Zieve initially said he didn’t know who sent out the anonymous postcard, which told of plans for mosque. The postcard included no identifying information on who sent it other than an email address for more information: mukilteostaysafe@gmail.com.

The address was tied to Zieve through an April 9 email he sent to dozens of people discussing the postcard mailing.

Last week, Zieve, who is traveling, said that he would apologize. Zieve also said he had accepted an offer to arrange a meeting with Khan.

There was no immediate response to an email sent to Zieve on Saturday asking for his response to the request for the postcard apology.

Khan said that local Muslim families, kids and business people have been affected by Zieve’s anti-mosque campaign.

Sending out a postcard of apology will “soften the hearts of the citizens of Mukilteo,” Khan said, and ensure that all Mukilteo families, including Islamic families, are safe.

The Islamic Center of Mukilteo had previously called for a boycott of Zieve’s business, in part for what it characterized as Zieve’s public promotion of anti-Muslim bias.

Electroimpact is a prominent maker of automated machines for jetliner assembly and counts the Boeing Co. as a major customer.

Khan said he has talked with Mukilteo Mayor Jennifer Gregerson about scheduling a community meeting to discuss plans and answer questions about the mosque.

No date has been set, but Khan said he hopes the event can be scheduled in the next few weeks.

“A mosque is a place where people worship, just like a church or temple,” he said.

Plans for the Islamic Center of Mukilteo, to be built at 3920 Harbour Pointe Blvd., were first announced in 2013. The anonymous postcard mailing occurred as the City of Mukilteo considers its land use permits.

The 3,796-square-foot, two-story building would include a prayer area, multipurpose room, two small offices, a kitchen, bathrooms and two classrooms, according to plans submitted to Mukilteo’s planning department.

Sharon Salyer: 425-339-3486; salyer@heraldnet.com.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Oliver Popa, 7, poses with his book, "Drippey Plants a Garden," on Tuesday, March 25, 2025 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds 7-year-old publishes children’s book featuring ‘Drippey’ the bee

Oliver Popa’s first grade teacher said he should publish a longer version of a writing assignment. A year later, his mother — a publisher — helped made it happen.

Don Sharrett talks John Wrice through his trimming technique on Friday, March 14, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett barber school offers $5 haircuts — if you’re brave enough

Students get hands-on practice. Willing clients get a sweet deal.

Employees and patrons of the Everett Mall signed a timeline mural that traces the history of the 51-year-old indoor mall that was once considered the premier place to go shopping in the city. Thursday, March 20, 2025 (Aaron Kennedy / The Herald)
Mall mural offers nostalgic trip into the past

Past and present Everett Mall employees joined customers Thursday to view an artistic timeline of the once popular shopping mecca.

Director for the Snohomish County Health Department Dennis Worsham leads a short exercise during the Edge of Amazing event on Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Snohomish County Health Department faces up to $3.4 million in cuts

The two federal grants provided funding for immunizations and disease prevention awareness efforts.

2025 Emerging Leader DeLon Lewis (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
DeLon Lewis: Helping students succeed

Program specialist for Everett Community College believes leadership is about building bridges.

Daron Johnson, who runs Snohomish County Scanner, stands next to his scanner setup on Tuesday, April 1 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Snohomish County law enforcement to encrypt police airwaves

The plan for civilian police scanners to go dark pushed a host to shut down his popular breaking news feed.

Richie Gabriel, 1, jumps off the bottom of the slide as Matthew Gabriel looks down at him from the play structure at Hummingbird Hill Park on Monday, March 31, 2025 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds residents show up for Hummingbird Hill Park, Frances Anderson Center

After a two-and-a-half hour public comment session, the council tabled its votes for the two comprehensive plan amendments.

Students Haddie Shorb, 9, left, and brother Elden Shorb, 11, right, lead the ground breaking at Jackson Elementary School on Tuesday, April 1, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett district breaks ground on Jackson Elementary replacement

The $54 million project will completely replace the aging elementary school. Students are set to move in by the 2026-27 school year.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Another positive measles case identified in Snohomish County

The case was identified in an infant who likely contracted measles while traveling, the county health department said.

A Tesla drives along 41st Street on Wednesday, March 26, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Washington faces uncertain future of Clean Air Act regulations

The Trump administration’s attempt to roll back numerous vehicle pollution standards has left states wondering what’s next.

A person walks through the lot at Kia of Everett shopping for a car on Tuesday, April 1, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
‘The tariffs made me do it’: Customers move fast on cars

At one Everett dealership, customers move fast on cars ahead of Wednesday’s expected announcement on tariffs.

Public’s help needed to find missing Arlington man

The 21-year-old left the house Sunday night without his shoes, cell phone or a jacket, and was reported missing the following morning.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.