Tommy Ross Jr. (right) sits with attorneys Harry Gasnick (left) and John Hayden during Ross’ first appearance in Clallam County Superior Court on Wednesday in connection with the 1978 murder of Janet Bowcutt. (Keith Thorpe / Peninsula Daily News)

Tommy Ross Jr. (right) sits with attorneys Harry Gasnick (left) and John Hayden during Ross’ first appearance in Clallam County Superior Court on Wednesday in connection with the 1978 murder of Janet Bowcutt. (Keith Thorpe / Peninsula Daily News)

Man paroled in Canada arrested for 1978 Port Angeles killing

By Rob Ollikainen

The Peninsula Daily News

PORT ANGELES — Bail was set at $1.5 million Wednesday for a Los Angeles man accused of killing a Port Angeles woman more than 38 years ago.

Tommy J. Ross Jr., 58, was being held Wednesday in the Clallam County jail for investigation of the 1978 murder of 20-year-old Janet Bowcutt.

He will be arraigned Dec. 2.

Port Angeles police said Ross strangled Bowcutt to death in her apartment in April 1978.

Ross was convicted of a similar murder that occurred in Victoria in May 1978, Clallam County prosecutors said.

He had been serving a life sentence in Canada for the murder of Janice Forbes of Victoria and was granted parole last week.

Ross was arrested by Whatcom County sheriff’s deputies at the Peace Arch border crossing in Blaine for investigation of the Port Angeles homicide, authorities said.

He was booked into the Clallam County jail at 8:26 p.m. Tuesday, according to the jail roster.

Former Clallam County Prosecuting Attorney Deborah Kelly is handling the Ross case because of her familiarity with the history of it, current Prosecuting Attorney Mark Nichols said.

Kelly requested a $2 million bail for Ross at his initial court appearance Wednesday.

“Mr. Ross is still considered by this office to be extremely dangerous, extremely capable of committing these same sorts of crimes,” Kelly said.

Defense attorneys Harry Gasnick and John Hayden of Clallam Public Defender argued that a warrant for Ross’ arrest had been quashed in 2014.

“They tore up the warrant and they didn’t bother issuing a summons, and then they snatched the guy off the street, and that’s wrong and it’s illegal,” Gasnick said.

Gasnick said Ross did not have the financial means to make a fraction of the requested bail amount. He objected to his client appearing in court in shackles.

“This man shouldn’t be here in the first place, much less in shackles,” Gasnick said.

Clallam County Superior County Judge Erik Rohrer found probable cause to hold Ross for investigation of the Bowcutt murder.

“I understand the defense’s concerns about this,” Rohrer said.

“I have the same concerns. I don’t think I’m going to resolve the search warrant issue today.”

According to the affidavit for probable cause, Bowcutt’s mother reported that her daughter would not come to the door and that she could hear Bowcutt’s infant son crying inside an apartment at 615 W. Eighth St. on April 24, 1978.

Officers kicked the door open and discovered a deceased Bowcutt on her stomach, fully clothed, with her hands and feet bound together.

“A scarf was tightly wrapped once around her neck, securing a washrag stuffed in her mouth as a gag, and twice around her neck,” Port Angeles Police Detective David Arand wrote in a Wednesday arrest report.

“The scarf was tied through the cordage around her ankles in such a manner that struggle would only tighten the scarf around her neck.”

Local residents identified Ross as a suspect in a series of photographs, investigators said.

Ross’ fingerprint was found on an interior doorknob, prosecutors said.

Kelly said there are fingernail clippings that could be used as evidence at trial.

“At this point, I have every reason to believe that this is a viable case,” Kelly told Rohrer.

“It appears to me to be a genuinely strong case, despite the passage of 38 years.”

Forbes, the Victoria murder victim, was found in her apartment “fully clothed, bound, gagged and strangled in a very similar manner as Bowcutt” on May 24, 1978, Arand wrote in his report.

“It was apparent to both Port Angeles and Victoria police that the cases were related,” Clallam County prosecutors said in a Wednesday news release.

Ross was identified as a suspect and extradited from Los Angeles to Canada after Forbes’ murder, police said.

A British Columbia jury convicted Ross in July 1979. He was sentenced to life in prison but was eligible for parole after 25 years, prosecutors said.

“He had a parole hearing last week, frankly much to the surprise of the Clallam prosecutor’s office,” Kelly told Rohrer.

Ross was paroled from the Pacific Institution in Abbotsford, B.C., on Nov. 10.

He was deported by Canada Border Services Agency on Tuesday, prosecutors said.

In 1988, Port Angeles police and former Clallam County Prosecuting Attorney David Bruneau interviewed Ross at a Canadian prison in Saskatchewan, court papers said.

During that interview, Ross admitted that he killed Bowcutt, two other females in Anaheim, California, and another female in Los Angeles, Arand wrote in his report.

“There are no convictions down in California,” Kelly told Rohrer.

”I don’t know frankly at this point the status of their cases. I don’t know what they have in the way of evidence.”

Ross in 1988 “showed no remorse for the killings and stated that if he had to do things in his life over again, he’d do everything the same way,” according to the affidavit for probable cause.

“However, when asked, Ross refused to disclose any details of the homicides without guarantees from (Port Angeles police) that he would receive the death penalty,” Arand wrote.

Kelly served as the elected Clallam County prosecuting attorney for 12 years and worked in the office for about 28 years, said Nichols, her former chief deputy.

Kelly retired in January 2014 shortly after her successful prosecution of Sequim double-murderer Darold Stenson.

“Deb’s experience prosecuting homicide cases combined with her familiarity with the history of this case made for a great fit,” Nichols said in a news release.

“We are grateful to her for her assistance on the case.”

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Employees and patrons of the Everett Mall signed a timeline mural that traces the history of the 51-year-old indoor mall that was once considered the premier place to go shopping in the city. Thursday, March 20, 2025 (Aaron Kennedy / The Herald)
Mall mural offers nostalgic trip into the past

Past and present Everett Mall employees joined customers Thursday to view an artistic timeline of the once popular shopping mecca.

Edmonds Mayor Mike Rosen gives his State of the City address on Thursday, March 20 in Edmonds, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Edmonds mayor talks budget at 2025 State of the City

Mayor Mike Rosen discussed the city’s deficit and highlights from his first year in office.

Daron Johnson, who runs Snohomish County Scanner, stands next to his scanner setup on Tuesday, April 1 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Snohomish County law enforcement to encrypt police airwaves

The plan for civilian police scanners to go dark pushed a host to shut down his popular breaking news feed.

Richie Gabriel, 1, jumps off the bottom of the slide as Matthew Gabriel looks down at him from the play structure at Hummingbird Hill Park on Monday, March 31, 2025 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds residents show up for Hummingbird Hill Park, Frances Anderson Center

After a two-and-a-half hour public comment session, the council tabled its votes for the two comprehensive plan amendments.

Students Haddie Shorb, 9, left, and brother Elden Shorb, 11, right, lead the ground breaking at Jackson Elementary School on Tuesday, April 1, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett district breaks ground on Jackson Elementary replacement

The $54 million project will completely replace the aging elementary school. Students are set to move in by the 2026-27 school year.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Another positive measles case identified in Snohomish County

The case was identified in an infant who likely contracted measles while traveling, the county health department said.

A Tesla drives along 41st Street on Wednesday, March 26, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Washington faces uncertain future of Clean Air Act regulations

The Trump administration’s attempt to roll back numerous vehicle pollution standards has left states wondering what’s next.

A person walks through the lot at Kia of Everett shopping for a car on Tuesday, April 1, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
‘The tariffs made me do it’: Customers move fast on cars

At one Everett dealership, customers move fast on cars ahead of Wednesday’s expected announcement on tariffs.

Public’s help needed to find missing Arlington man

The 21-year-old left the house Sunday night without his shoes, cell phone or a jacket, and was reported missing the following morning.

Will Geschke / The Herald
The Marysville Tulalip Campus on the Tulalip Reservation, where Legacy High School is located.
Marysville board votes to keep Legacy High at current location

The move rolls back a decision the school board made in January to move the alternative high school at the start of next school year.

The former Marysville City Hall building along State Avenue on Tuesday, April 30, 2024 in Marysville, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
City of Marysville, school board amend property exchange

The city will relocate its public works facility to the district’s current headquarters, which will move to the former City Hall.

Snohomish County Elections employees Alice Salcido, left and Joseph Rzeckowski, right, pull full bins of ballots from the Snohomish County Campus ballot drop box on Monday, Nov. 4, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
County to mail ballots for Edmonds, Brier elections

Registered voters should receive their ballots by April 9 for the April 22 special election.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.