John Walker Lindh makes first court appearance

By Larry Margasak

Associated Press

ALEXANDRIA, Va. – In his first court appearance, Taliban soldier John Walker Lindh told a federal judge “Yes I do, thank you” when asked Thursday if he understood charges that he conspired to kill his fellow Americans in Afghanistan.

Lindh, wearing a green prison jumpsuit, his previously long hair and beard shorn, stood straight with his arms at his side throughout the 15-minute hearing, glancing several times to prosecutors at his right. He never turned to look at his parents, sitting two rows behind.

In a sign of legal arguments to come, Lindh’s attorney, James Brosnahan, told reporters after the hearing that Lindh had “asked for a lawyer, repeatedly asked for a lawyer,” from Dec. 2 on, “and the officials who have commented on this case knew that.”

But Attorney General John Ashcroft said Lindh, 20, had signed a statement waiving his right to an attorney before he spoke to the FBI on Dec. 9 and 10.

“John Walker chose to join terrorists who wanted to kill Americans, and he chose to waive his right to an attorney, both orally and in writing, before he was questioned by the FBI,” Ashcroft said.

Defense lawyers already have said they would challenge the statement’s admissibility because an attorney wasn’t present. Lindh was recovering from a battle wound at the time.

During the hearing, U.S. Magistrate Judge W. Curtis Sewell also asked Lindh whether he understood the penalties, which could include life in prison.

“Yes I do, sir,” Lindh said in a quiet voice that could still be easily heard in the courtroom.

Lindh spoke a third time when the judge asked whether he understood that he would be kept in custody until a preliminary hearing, set for Feb. 6.

“No sir, I don’t have any questions,” Lindh said.

The young man’s parents, who saw their son for the first time in two years during a private meeting shortly before the hearing, asserted afterward that he is innocent.

“John loves America. John did not do anything against America,” Frank Lindh told reporters. “He is innocent of these charges.”

Lindh’s mother, Marilyn Walker, fought tears as she said: “It’s been two years since I last saw my son. It was wonderful to see him this morning. My love for him is unconditional and absolute.

“I am grateful to God that he has been brought home to his family, me, his home and his country,” she said.

Heavy security surrounded Lindh’s arrival at the federal courthouse here, just a few miles from the Pentagon, which was extensively damaged in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Snipers stood on the roof and armed officers were outside the building.

Lindh was represented in the courtroom by four attorneys, including Brosnahan of San Francisco, who told reporters he first met his client on Thursday morning for 45 minutes before the hearing.

“He was very helpful,” Brosnahan said of his client. “You can imagine that this young man was not fully aware of the intensity of the publicity.”

Assistant U.S. Attorney David Kelley said the government was insisting that Lindh remain in custody because of the risk that he would try to flee and because of his potential danger to the community. Sewell granted the request.

Brosnahan told the judge that Lindh did not learn the precise charges against him until the day before.

Sewell then set the Feb. 6 hearing to determine whether Lindh would continue to be held in custody.

Lindh faces four charges, according to the government’s criminal complaint. Those are engaging in a conspiracy to kill Americans in Afghanistan, providing material support and resources to foreign terrorist organizations, engaging in prohibited transactions with the Taliban and providing goods and services to and for the benefit of the Taliban.

Lindh was captured in November near the northern Afghan city of Mazar-e-Sharif after an uprising by Taliban and al-Qaida prisoners there. An American CIA operative, Johnny “Mike” Spann, was killed during the uprising.

Lindh left his country two years ago to study Arabic and Islam in Yemen, and then apparently went to Pakistan and from there to Afghanistan.

The government’s case against Lindh is built around a criminal complaint based mainly on his interviews with the FBI on Dec. 9 and 10 and statements he made in a television interview.

An FBI affidavit said that while Lindh was at an al-Qaida training camp in June, he “learned from one of his instructors that Osama bin Laden had sent people to the United States to carry out several suicide operations.”

When he learned of the Sept. 11 attacks by radio, Lindh told the FBI, it was his understanding “that bin Laden had ordered the attacks and that additional attacks would follow.”

Lindh, a Californian who converted to Islam at age 16, said he trained for seven weeks in an al-Qaida camp where bin Laden visited three to five times, giving lectures “on the local situation, political issues, old Afghan/Soviet battles, etc.,” the affidavit said.

Copyright ©2002 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Employees and patrons of the Everett Mall signed a timeline mural that traces the history of the 51-year-old indoor mall that was once considered the premier place to go shopping in the city. Thursday, March 20, 2025 (Aaron Kennedy / The Herald)
Mall mural offers nostalgic trip into the past

Past and present Everett Mall employees joined customers Thursday to view an artistic timeline of the once popular shopping mecca.

Edmonds Mayor Mike Rosen gives his State of the City address on Thursday, March 20 in Edmonds, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Edmonds mayor talks budget at 2025 State of the City

Mayor Mike Rosen discussed the city’s deficit and highlights from his first year in office.

Daron Johnson, who runs Snohomish County Scanner, stands next to his scanner setup on Tuesday, April 1 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Snohomish County law enforcement to encrypt police airwaves

The plan for civilian police scanners to go dark pushed a host to shut down his popular breaking news feed.

Richie Gabriel, 1, jumps off the bottom of the slide as Matthew Gabriel looks down at him from the play structure at Hummingbird Hill Park on Monday, March 31, 2025 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds residents show up for Hummingbird Hill Park, Frances Anderson Center

After a two-and-a-half hour public comment session, the council tabled its votes for the two comprehensive plan amendments.

Students Haddie Shorb, 9, left, and brother Elden Shorb, 11, right, lead the ground breaking at Jackson Elementary School on Tuesday, April 1, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett district breaks ground on Jackson Elementary replacement

The $54 million project will completely replace the aging elementary school. Students are set to move in by the 2026-27 school year.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Another positive measles case identified in Snohomish County

The case was identified in an infant who likely contracted measles while traveling, the county health department said.

A Tesla drives along 41st Street on Wednesday, March 26, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Washington faces uncertain future of Clean Air Act regulations

The Trump administration’s attempt to roll back numerous vehicle pollution standards has left states wondering what’s next.

A person walks through the lot at Kia of Everett shopping for a car on Tuesday, April 1, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
‘The tariffs made me do it’: Customers move fast on cars

At one Everett dealership, customers move fast on cars ahead of Wednesday’s expected announcement on tariffs.

Public’s help needed to find missing Arlington man

The 21-year-old left the house Sunday night without his shoes, cell phone or a jacket, and was reported missing the following morning.

Will Geschke / The Herald
The Marysville Tulalip Campus on the Tulalip Reservation, where Legacy High School is located.
Marysville board votes to keep Legacy High at current location

The move rolls back a decision the school board made in January to move the alternative high school at the start of next school year.

The former Marysville City Hall building along State Avenue on Tuesday, April 30, 2024 in Marysville, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
City of Marysville, school board amend property exchange

The city will relocate its public works facility to the district’s current headquarters, which will move to the former City Hall.

Snohomish County Elections employees Alice Salcido, left and Joseph Rzeckowski, right, pull full bins of ballots from the Snohomish County Campus ballot drop box on Monday, Nov. 4, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
County to mail ballots for Edmonds, Brier elections

Registered voters should receive their ballots by April 9 for the April 22 special election.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.