Pro-choice protester Rick Pollock confronts an anti-abortion protester, who goes by the name Patty, as they stand shoulder to shoulder Wednesday in front of the Planned Parenthood building on 32nd Street in Everett. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)

Pro-choice protester Rick Pollock confronts an anti-abortion protester, who goes by the name Patty, as they stand shoulder to shoulder Wednesday in front of the Planned Parenthood building on 32nd Street in Everett. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)

‘See you on the sidewalk’: No more protest zones at clinic

The city of Everett had kept apart Planned Parenthood defenders and opponents, but that ended last week.

EVERETT — Demonstrators against and for abortion rights once again are mingling at weekly gatherings on the sidewalk around the Planned Parenthood clinic at 32nd Street and Hoyt Avenue, after the city last week lifted restrictions that were in place for months.

Earlier this year, the city implemented what are called time, place and manner restrictions during recurring Wednesday demonstrations outside the health clinic. The city previously had similar rules for monthly Saturday gatherings at the clinic.

Anti-abortion activists had been clashing with pro-choice advocates in boisterous and contentious confrontations. None resulted in criminal charges, but the gatherings became a public safety concern, which prompted the restrictions, city officials said in April.

The rules prohibited protests on the public right-of-way adjacent to the clinic and effectively separated the factions. Clinic supporters met on the sidewalk across from the clinic’s driveway on 32nd Street. People opposing abortion convened on the corner southwest of the clinic on Hoyt Avenue.

Everett Police Department officers enforced the restrictions and kept protesters away from the sidewalk and alley adjacent to the clinic, and staff would erect a short fence barrier along the sidewalk each Wednesday.

“Buffer zones are enacted to protect patients from harassment and assist in keeping people safe,” city spokesman Julio Cortes said in an email.

But the city ceased the restrictions around the clinic last week because “the police department concluded the risk to public safety at the Wednesday protest was minimal and removed the temporary restrictions with the belief individuals could avoid conflict without barriers or designated protest areas,” Cortes said. “The restrictions were preventative and intended to be temporary.”

Pro-choice advocates stand in front of the Planned Parenthood building Wednesday in Everett. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)

Pro-choice advocates stand in front of the Planned Parenthood building Wednesday in Everett. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)

When they were in force, the city’s restrictions drew intense interest, with several letters to the editor published by The Daily Herald.

It also drew a legalistic rebuke from the Thomas More Society, a Chicago-based law firm that purports to have a “Judeo-Christian family values” mission and has specialized in anti-abortion legal cases. Attorney Matt Heffron, in a six-page letter to Everett City Attorney David Hall dated May 11, argued the city should end its restrictions or face a court fight. He claimed the city’s law enforcement “acted beyond its authority” and that the restrictions created a buffer zone that gave “preferential treatment” to pro-choice advocates, were based on the content of the topic and weren’t narrowly tailored to the city’s public safety interest.

“As applied here, the City’s restrictions violate my clients’ First Amendment rights,” Heffron wrote. “My clients would prefer not to have to vindicate their rights by engaging the City of Everett in a legal battle. However, they also do not intend to be arbitrarily coerced to refrain from doing what they have a Constitutional right to do. As probably is apparent, we currently are preparing to file a lawsuit in this matter in federal court …”

Janean Desmarais, an Everett resident and clinic supporter who used to volunteer as an escort for patients and staff before the pandemic suspended the program, criticized the city for ending the restrictions and allowing people to once again gather in view of the clinic’s front doors and driveway.

“We are not surprised at the City of Everett’s decision to back down from a well-funded Catholic organization such as The Thomas More Society that has pressed the City to no longer protect the citizens from the harassment of anti-abortion protesters when visiting Planned Parenthood,” she wrote in an emailed statement.

Before the city began enforcing time, place and manner restrictions around the clinic, the opposing advocates clashed — often loudly. Some people prayed quietly, others hollered at people, often women, entering the health care facility.

Anti-abortion and pro-choice advocates face each other Wednesday in front of the Planned Parenthood building on 32nd Street in Everett. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)

Anti-abortion and pro-choice advocates face each other Wednesday in front of the Planned Parenthood building on 32nd Street in Everett. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)

Ed Mohs, who has opposed abortion rights at the clinic for years, said interactions have been “minimal” and “peaceful” since people were allowed back onto the sidewalk near the driveway.

“It’s nice to have the freedom on the sidewalks again without being restricted,” he said. “The city’s reaction was probably overstepped. Though with good intentions, it was probably overzealous on their part.”

In some videos of the gatherings from earlier in the year, anti-abortion advocates called abortion “murder.”

Many of the interactions drew shouting, noisemaking and sometimes swearing from clinic and patient supporters, who wanted to drown out the anti-abortion crowd’s message. Others held umbrellas to block the view of posters and signs held by the anti-abortion demonstrators.

Desmarais said the message of people praying to end abortion was well understood and visible across the street, as is Two Hearts Pregnancy Aid.

“Any person entering or exiting Planned Parenthood could take it upon themselves to walk across the street and engage with the anti-choice crowd,” she wrote. “People finally had a choice about engagement, something we know the anti-abortion (ideology) is staunchly against, and now patients and staff will once again be subjected to yelling, name calling, harassment, and duped into taking inaccurate medical information about their health from people who are not doctors.

“ … Abortion is normal and it is not going away, and neither are we. See you on the sidewalk.”

Ben Watanabe: bwatanabe@heraldnet.com; 425-339-3037; Twitter @benwatanabe.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Oliver Popa, 7, poses with his book, "Drippey Plants a Garden," on Tuesday, March 25, 2025 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds 7-year-old publishes children’s book featuring ‘Drippey’ the bee

Oliver Popa’s first grade teacher said he should publish a longer version of a writing assignment. A year later, his mother — a publisher — helped made it happen.

Don Sharrett talks John Wrice through his trimming technique on Friday, March 14, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett barber school offers $5 haircuts — if you’re brave enough

Students get hands-on practice. Willing clients get a sweet deal.

Employees and patrons of the Everett Mall signed a timeline mural that traces the history of the 51-year-old indoor mall that was once considered the premier place to go shopping in the city. Thursday, March 20, 2025 (Aaron Kennedy / The Herald)
Mall mural offers nostalgic trip into the past

Past and present Everett Mall employees joined customers Thursday to view an artistic timeline of the once popular shopping mecca.

Percy Levy, who served 17 years for drug-related crimes, outside his new business Redemption Auto along Highway 99 on Thursday, Sept. 21, 2023 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett man, arrested on drugs, weapons charges, moved to federal detention

In addition to Percy Levy, U.S. marshals transferred a second suspect in the case to federal custody.

2025 Emerging Leader Anthony Hawley (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Anthony Hawley: Creating friendships and filling pantries

Since 2021, Hawley has increased donations to Lake Stevens Community Food Bank through fundraising and building donor relationships.

Gary Petershagen
Lake Stevens council member announces reelection run

Gary Petershagen is seeking a third term on the council.

2025 Emerging Leader Megan Kemmett (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Megan Kemmett: Seeking solutions to any problem or obstacle

Executive director of Snohomish Community Food Bank overcomes obstacles to keep people fed.

Director for the Snohomish County Health Department Dennis Worsham leads a short exercise during the Edge of Amazing event on Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Snohomish County Health Department faces up to $3.4 million in cuts

The two federal grants provided funding for immunizations and disease prevention awareness efforts.

2025 Emerging Leader DeLon Lewis (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
DeLon Lewis: Helping students succeed

Program specialist for Everett Community College believes leadership is about building bridges.

Daron Johnson, who runs Snohomish County Scanner, stands next to his scanner setup on Tuesday, April 1 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Snohomish County law enforcement to encrypt police airwaves

The plan for civilian police scanners to go dark pushed a host to shut down his popular breaking news feed.

Richie Gabriel, 1, jumps off the bottom of the slide as Matthew Gabriel looks down at him from the play structure at Hummingbird Hill Park on Monday, March 31, 2025 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds residents show up for Hummingbird Hill Park, Frances Anderson Center

After a two-and-a-half hour public comment session, the council tabled its votes for the two comprehensive plan amendments.

Students Haddie Shorb, 9, left, and brother Elden Shorb, 11, right, lead the ground breaking at Jackson Elementary School on Tuesday, April 1, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett Public Schools breaks ground on Jackson Elementary replacement

The $54 million project will completely replace the aging elementary school. Students are set to move in by the 2026-27 school year.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.