Witness refutes King contention

By Jim Haley and Scott North

Herald Writers

Indle Gifford King Jr. and his wife, Anastasia S. King, returned to their Mountlake Terrace home from Seattle-Tacoma International Airport in the same Shuttle Express van the afternoon of Sept. 22, 2000, a driver testified Tuesday.

The testimony further bolsters the prosecution’s contention that Indle King consistently misled detectives while they were searching for the missing Anastasia King later that year.

In interviews with Mountlake Terrace detectives, Indle King maintained then that he and his wife argued in Moscow and she did not return to the United States with him following a visit with her parents in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, in the former Soviet Union.

One of several former tenants in the King household also testified that Indle King told him Anastasia King would not be returning to the United States because she didn’t have the money for her plane ticket and passport.

King also told the tenant that he intended to seek an uncontested divorce while his 20-year-old wife was away in order to protect his financial situation.

The testimony came at the start of the second week in the first-degree murder trial of King, 40, who is charged with the death of his wife and with witness tampering.

She was reported missing by friends and her parents in late September, and her body was discovered three months later in a shallow grave near Marysville.

Kathleen Herbst of Seattle, the Shuttle Express driver, told jurors that Indle King approached her at the airport and asked for a ride home. A few days after the body was discovered, she identified Indle King and Anastasia King as two of the seven passengers in the van after a detective showed her a photograph of the couple.

"I recognized her from the picture I was shown by the policeman" on Jan. 9, 2001, she said.

Saying she remembered most of the trips she drove over the three years she worked for Shuttle Express, Herbst gave jurors some detail of the 45-minute ride from the airport.

Indle King sat up front on the passenger side, and Anastasia King sat behind Herbst, she said. Anastasia King was quiet during the drive. Indle King gave the driver directions.

Also on board was a chatty older couple, she said. At one point, the older gentleman tapped Indle King on the shoulder to say something, and he "reacted strongly. It quieted the van down," Herbst testified.

She demonstrated how Indle King clenched his fists off to his side. "I would say generally he was uptight," she told the jurors.

Herbst, who dropped the couple off at their home in the 5200 block of 213th Street SW, was one of the last people to see Anastasia King alive.

Prosecutors maintain that a short time later, Indle King enlisted the help of one of the tenants, Daniel K. Larson, 21, a convicted sex offender, to help strangle his wife and dispose of her body in the shallow grave.

The defense said it will show the jury that it was Larson and not Indle King who killed Anastasia King, a mail-order bride who had been married to King a little more than two years.

But the state has alleged that Indle King was obsessed with having to share his property in a divorce settlement. It maintains that Indle King believed he learned that lesson earlier with a previous Russian mail-order bride who divorced him.

Former tenant Andre Vasquez said Indle King told him he was worried about Anastasia King going after his money. He told Vasquez "she wouldn’t be around," and that he left her in Russia without money or a passport. He planned to summon her via newspaper ad and go forward with an uncontested divorce, Vasquez said.

Indle King also told Vasquez to watch out for friends of Anastasia King coming by to pick up her belongings and not to let anyone in the house.

The slain woman’s father, Anatoliy Soloviev, took the witness stand late Tuesday. Although he spoke with the aid of an interpreter, some of his testimony required no translation.

When asked if he had a daughter named Anastasia King, Soloviev leveled a long, hard stare at his former son-in-law, who was seated with his attorneys at the defense table.

"Da," he said.

Soloviev testified life was hard in Kyrgyzstan after the collapse of the former Soviet Union, where he and his wife lived on about $30 a month pension, plus what they could earn through other jobs, including teaching music. One reason their daughter looked into becoming a mail-order bride was her desire to continue her education at a good university, something that wasn’t possible in her homeland, Soloviev testified.

He was expected to return to the witness stand today.

You can call Herald Writer Jim Haley at 425-339-3447

or send e-mail to haley@heraldnet.com.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Oliver Popa, 7, poses with his book, "Drippey Plants a Garden," on Tuesday, March 25, 2025 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds 7-year-old publishes children’s book featuring ‘Drippey’ the bee

Oliver Popa’s first grade teacher said he should publish a longer version of a writing assignment. A year later, his mother — a publisher — helped made it happen.

Don Sharrett talks John Wrice through his trimming technique on Friday, March 14, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett barber school offers $5 haircuts — if you’re brave enough

Students get hands-on practice. Willing clients get a sweet deal.

Employees and patrons of the Everett Mall signed a timeline mural that traces the history of the 51-year-old indoor mall that was once considered the premier place to go shopping in the city. Thursday, March 20, 2025 (Aaron Kennedy / The Herald)
Mall mural offers nostalgic trip into the past

Past and present Everett Mall employees joined customers Thursday to view an artistic timeline of the once popular shopping mecca.

Percy Levy, who served 17 years for drug-related crimes, outside his new business Redemption Auto along Highway 99 on Thursday, Sept. 21, 2023 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett man, arrested on drugs, weapons charges, moved to federal detention

In addition to Percy Levy, U.S. marshals transferred a second suspect in the case to federal custody.

2025 Emerging Leader Anthony Hawley (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Anthony Hawley: Creating friendships and filling pantries

Since 2021, Hawley has increased donations to Lake Stevens Community Food Bank through fundraising and building donor relationships.

Gary Petershagen
Lake Stevens council member announces reelection run

Gary Petershagen is seeking a third term on the council.

2025 Emerging Leader Megan Kemmett (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Megan Kemmett: Seeking solutions to any problem or obstacle

Executive director of Snohomish Community Food Bank overcomes obstacles to keep people fed.

Director for the Snohomish County Health Department Dennis Worsham leads a short exercise during the Edge of Amazing event on Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Snohomish County Health Department faces up to $3.4 million in cuts

The two federal grants provided funding for immunizations and disease prevention awareness efforts.

2025 Emerging Leader DeLon Lewis (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
DeLon Lewis: Helping students succeed

Program specialist for Everett Community College believes leadership is about building bridges.

Daron Johnson, who runs Snohomish County Scanner, stands next to his scanner setup on Tuesday, April 1 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Snohomish County law enforcement to encrypt police airwaves

The plan for civilian police scanners to go dark pushed a host to shut down his popular breaking news feed.

Richie Gabriel, 1, jumps off the bottom of the slide as Matthew Gabriel looks down at him from the play structure at Hummingbird Hill Park on Monday, March 31, 2025 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds residents show up for Hummingbird Hill Park, Frances Anderson Center

After a two-and-a-half hour public comment session, the council tabled its votes for the two comprehensive plan amendments.

Students Haddie Shorb, 9, left, and brother Elden Shorb, 11, right, lead the ground breaking at Jackson Elementary School on Tuesday, April 1, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett Public Schools breaks ground on Jackson Elementary replacement

The $54 million project will completely replace the aging elementary school. Students are set to move in by the 2026-27 school year.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.